Monday, December 22, 2008

Memories of the Royal Dublin

I was told that the Royal Dublin on O'Connell Street was to close on the 20th of December and since hearing that news a week ago I have been pondering upon my memories of the most accessible hotel in Dublin.

I was among the first 30 people to be part of the independent living movement which has enabled me to go to college firstly and live on my own with the help of a personal assistance.

We used to meet regularly to support each other and the Royal Dublin would be the venue for special occasions as it was in the centre of Dublin and no matter what type of transport or disability, it was a great place to be.

To me it symbolised the freedom that independent living was and still is how I want to live my life.

The atmosphere of the Royal Dublin often lend itself to spontaneous sing-songs.

The memories can only be summed up in one word: Freedom!

No comments: